Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Thornbridge Halcyon Imperial IPA

Never had a beer from the U.K. so this would be the first, but it doesn't really matter where it is from so much nowadays anyway. Went to Ol for the first time in forever, and ended up getting this brew, which so happens to be in a very attractive bottle. Should have kept it!


Appearance: The appearance was pretty fogged out in my opinion, not as crystal clear as I expected first hand. Nothing about the appearance was displeasing. The beer had this nice little glowing golden amber look to it. The lacing was nice an sticky, and the head as well. The head didn't come off as the usual perfect top, but it lacked consistency as far as texture (I don't normally see that, so it was nice).

Aroma: I can't say much about this. It could have been my allergies at the time, but I could not smell much. I had a little wif of honey, but that was about it. In no way the aromas matched the taste profile.

Taste: Well I was kind of in for a shocker. My review on Stone's Enjoy By IPA is a review on the perfect IPA IMO, and this beer pretty much matched that flavor profile. Never ending tropical notes laced with honey an hops. This was obviously a less intense version (if you ever tried the Enjoy By Series you will take notice). The finish was sort of caramel like, and malty, nothing overbearing! Overall I felt it was a well structured beer. Extreme consistency in the taste from start to finish. No complaints!

Mouthfeel: Reminded me of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale except slightly less dense, and more refreshing in the mouth.

Overall: I loved the Stone Enjoy by IPA, and I love this one. This is how an IPA should be done. Looking forward to trying more beers from Thornbridge, because i definitely enjoyed this one. Price isn't bad either!

No comments:

Post a Comment