Saturday, February 9, 2013

Review: Knee Deep Brewing Hoptologist IPA

First thoughts on this was that I was going to get that awkward bitter IPA taste that I kept running into when I first got into crafts. Never had anything from Knee Deep Brewing until today.



Appearance: In my opinion this beer produced a weak head that fell down way to quickly, although it was slightly sticky. The head was this thin champagne like foam that was essential white, and nothing short of it. The color was an amber mixed with this burst of red (could have been the lighting who knows?) I was slightly turned on by the clarity of this beer. The liquid was 100% transparent, and free from anything that shouldn't be there. I mean it was CLEAR.

Aroma: Grapefruit, grapefruit, grapefruit, and that is it. You can't really miss it.

Mouthfeel: Head reminded me of foamed milk from a latte. This beer felt water like, and was smooth as far as texture. Nothing special.

Taste: Well grapefruit. If you ever have smelled hops by itself this is exactly what you will smell. Every now an then you will taste this cut of honey that adds some sweetness. The finish was nice. The hoppiness lingers in your mouth for a while. Always appreciate a lasting finish.

Overall: This review is short, because I really wasn't intrigued by anything about this beer. My reviews usually end with either "get it" or "don't get it." Don't get it. This was a very bland beer. I wasn't at all impressed with the characteristics of the hops in this beer. I will admit a beer with 102 IBU, the malts an hops came together well. This was well brewed, but it was missing complexity in every category. I would much rather tell you to go buy  Green Flash Brewery's IPA.

No comments:

Post a Comment