Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Review: Mikkeller Milk Stout



If you happen to be staring at this beer right now please don't hesitate to buy it. Mikkeller is a pretty big name, but at the same time it really isn't talked too much about like Dogfish Head. I've had probably around 3 beers or so by Mikkeller, each an every brew came correct.


Appearance: This brew had a very thick luscious light chai colored head, which is normal for a stout. The head was well over an inch (good stuff), and retained pretty long. The head smothers the glass, and retains a lot of stickiness (something I stared at for a while). Very dense black beer. No light penetrates. I'm really in love with this. 

Aroma: First impression is a dark chocolate bar high in cocoa. Slight sweet berry but very subtle. Some creamy sensations. 

Mouthfeel: The milk stout definitely had a unique mouthfeel. It had this very milky frothy feeling to it. It did remind me of milk but not in a bad way. Reminded of champagne qualities. The mouthfeel was definitely experimental compared to most beers that I have had. 

Taste: The taste leaves you with maltiness on your tongue. The beginning has a start of a very mild trappist styled beer (single). This mild robust flavor profile with malt, coffee, and dark cocoa. This stout was balanced. You dont get overwhelmed. There aren't really hops present. This stout is perfect. The finish is nice. There are lingering flavors of coffee,  and robust malty undertones. The strength of a stout kicks in the finish. So it is balanced, but towards the end you will get a good kick of flavor. Milk is just a name, so don't be intimidated by it.



Overall: This beer woke up my senses. Very smooth stout I would say. One of my favorites in a long time. I would recommend this one to anyone. I haven't felt this excited drinking a beer (excluding Russian Rivers) since the Brouwerij De Musketeers Troubadour (maybe a few other ones). 
.


No comments:

Post a Comment