Friday, February 8, 2013

Short Review: Dogfish Head 120 Minute

What makes a beer more enjoying is when you don't feel the need to review it while you are out. Still enjoying analyzing liquid in a cup though. Anyways Dogfish Head is a brewery everybody has heard about. If you are drinking any beer as a matter of fact you should know this name. It is still a good micro brewery despite that popularity. Just because something becomes goes big doesn't mean it becomes made (correlation not causation).

In case you didn't know 120 minute is a triple IPA. Like the other minute IPAs 120 is roughly the IBU amount. IBUs stands for international bitterness units. Some bottles of beer have this number, and some don't. As another beerhead told me at work "anything past 70 you are getting into some bitter stuff."120 also stands for the amount of time the hops were boiled...120 minutes.


Appearance: The appearance came off as almost any other IPA a vibrant goldish color. I always like to refer it to apple juice, but with a very crisp fog to cut the ambient light. At some point describing color of an IPA can be repetitive. This beer was definitely carbonated. Bubbles were rising for quite a while, and took a few minutes to end. Like the beer I had a while ago (Russian River Rejection) this is nowhere near as carbonated, but nonetheless it was carbonated more than your average beer which is clearly seen. Lacing was pretty sloppy in my opinion, but what I loved was that fact that it was so sticky. Even when the glass was done you could just see the lacing stuck to the glass, which was attractive in a non-weird way.

Aroma: I was outside, and by the time I started smelling this I couldn't get a hold of the aromas. I can say that the first impressions reminded me of overly ripe tropical fruits bunched together.

Mouthfeel: I haven't had IPAs in forever. The mouth feel was actually amazing. The feel wasn't a thick stout or porter, but it wasn't water either. The carbonation kind of distracts you from the true feeling of the beer.

Taste: Like I said I was outside enjoying myself so I didn't spend too much time. I thought the taste was very complex. I am pretty big on transitions between flavors from start to finish, and this beer does a good job transitioning. The first sip you feel a heavy touch of hops, then it transitions to this maltiness, and that maltiness blends out an blends in to this hoppy flavor again. As I described it in scratch, "a very safe collision."This is a triple IPA, so the feel of the beer isn't suited for everyone.

Overall: If you don't already know me then you know IPAs are not my choice of beers most of the time. All bias aside this was a great triple IPA. My friend wants this beer all the time, and that is coming  from someone who just broke pass that whole "beer is disgusting" phase. Dogfish Head delivers no doubt with this. The transition between maltiness and hops definitely tells you the malts an hops were balanced. I am a little sad I wasn't in doors so I could have been more specific with a lot of this. I am a sucker for lacing, and the lacing residue left after drinking this was beautiful. Last but not least the ABV was around 15-20%, and you don't even get a hint of alcohol on your palette, which is a good thing!


Note: You won't find this anywhere at anytime. If you see it, get it, and drink it.

No comments:

Post a Comment